Saturday, May 25, 2013

States of alert

You know how the country is constantly on a state of alert?? Yellow, orange, red?
That's how I feel constantly. I am in a constant state of alert.  

Ric had his first chemo this past Monday.  All looked good. I was happy there was no reaction! Whoohoo! Then came Wednesday and the hives. Hmmm, hives? Wednesday, 2 days after? Let the calls begin! Dr says it is a normal reaction, but usually immediately, not two days later. Thursday doc says it may be because he is out of the prednisone. Let's go back to it and wean him out again, slower. So, back on steroids.

Friday the heartburn! To the point where he is completely uncomfortable. Zantac's turn! Friday night he complains about a pain on the left side of his chest. Hmmm...that I can track! Thank you Garmin!! I strapped my heart rate monitor on him and started measuring his heart beat. A little high, but nothing to be concerned about, as per the pediatrician who I'm texting like a crazy teenager!

Today, more hives! What the hell? Benadryl again with Prevacid this time cause apparently those two work well together, who knew! Hives are coming in quick, under his arms, behind his neck, behind his ears, on the side of the neck. What the hell is this? So, we start getting the hives under control...thank God! Ten minutes later.....a bruise. Text a pic to the pediatrician....ok mom, platelets are low. Let me see if we can get labs done tonight.

Here we go, Evans is rearing his ugly head. No labs can be done tonight, we'll have to wait. If he gets more bruises overnight, we have to go in the morning for labs. If he doesn't we can wait til Tuesday when we go in again for treatment.

Always on a state of alert!!! Today we are in orange. I just want to have one normal day in which our alert level can be on yellow and I can kind of breathe! Oh, and also not drive our pediatrician crazy with texts and pictures! We have the best pediatrician in the WORLD!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Love the analogy of the "alerts"! That is EXACTLY how I feel and I find that the higher the alert, the less sleep I get. I guess it comes with the Mom territory! I thought having twins = sleepless nights... Evans has twins beat for sure! Love reading your blog, it's nice to connect with someone in a similar boat!

    ReplyDelete