Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Going, going, going...

Last January I ran the Goofy Challenge at Disney. What that entails is to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) Saturday and run a full marathon (26.2 miles) the next day for a total of 39.3 miles for the weekend. Yes, I know to normal people that sounds just stupid. To me, it sounded like fun! 

When you run these crazy distances, you are bound to feel tired during the race. Things will pop up. One of my running buddies had blisters pop up during the marathon at mile 6 or 7...which sucked for him cause we still had a loooot of miles ahead of us. I felt fine until around mile 20. That's when I hit my wall and started feeling every bit of aching in my body. However, something magical happens when you run a marathon. It's almost like your mind knows it can't give up, so it keeps going and going and going.  It is not until after you cross the finish line that you really start feeling the effects of the crazy shit you just did. 

This past week has been just like the marathon. I'm going, going, going regardless of what little signs my body sends me to stop and rest. The last two days have been less stressful and now I feel exactly how I feel after I finish running 26.2 miles. I am exhausted!

Ric has been having serious hives for a week now. We ended up in the ER Sat night cause he felt his throat a bit tight. The dr's at the ER had no idea what Evans was....autoimmune! I tell them and they reacted.  They were literally googling stuff and I'm giving out orders! We need a cbc with differentials stat! He is neutropenic! You can't give him benadryl cause I gave him his last dose at 7! I was schooling them, I was the expert. Unbelievable! But, this is to be expected and our job is to educate people around us, including doctors and nurses. This was the equivalent of mile 21! Stressed out, tired as hell since I had woken up at 4:45am to go race a 5k and my body was just begging to rest, but my mind just kept going, going, going.

We couldn't do chemo yesterday because of the hives, now we wait until Monday. We have been hives free for almost 21 hrs now! Whoohooo! A little breathing room for all of us! 

It's been a marathon, but thank God I know how to deal with marathons! I just have to remind myself not to go crazy and not to overextend myself either. There are going to be massive walls along the way, but as long as we have tools to deal with these walls we will be fine. 

Now, I am feeling the effects post marathon. I just hope my mind and body react to this new craziness as it does during a marathon. I want the magical thing happening where my mind keeps fueling my body, regardless of the circumstances. I know that once we get to remission it would've been all worth it. I have to remind myself this is training and this past week was a sucky week at training. That's all!

1 comment:

  1. What you are going through sounds so scary! Knowing more than doctors! I guarantee those doctors are doing their research now.

    ReplyDelete