Thursday, May 9, 2013

Defying Gravity

There's this awesome play called Wicked. I love this play, love the story and most of all love the music.  There's this song called Defying Gravity, which I have always felt very identified with. Now more than ever, I find myself singing it just to remind myself that "Unlimited....together we're unlimited!!! Together we'll be the greatest team there's ever been....there's no fight we can not win...you and I defying gravity!"

Now we are defying gravity! Dealing with an autoimmune disorder that is rare, sucks. It sucks ass! But, I have to keep reminding myself that no good will come from being sad, no good will come from falling down. So, I am trying to defy gravity!

I wish Ric's platelets will defy gravity too!!!! This week we are waaaaaaayyyyyyy too close to the danger zone (50,000 platelets). We are at 54,000.  His white blood cells dropped drastically and his neutrophils (specific wbc in charge of fighting infections) dropped from a whopping 5960 to 740 in 7 days. Yeah, this kind of sucks. If neutrophils drop to 500 or less = hospital = iv antibiotics to help his body fight. His steroid dose has been increased to see if that will help his numbers go up a bit.

Ric's biggest concern.......a field trip he has to Islands of Adventures. He is 14 after all and I can't expect for him to understand why the doctors are concerned with him going to the field trip.  I mean, he understands, but he doesn't want to hear it.  They still haven't decided if he can go or not.  It would totally break my heart if he can't go, but we all need to start working with understanding that these things will happen. Defying gravity again!

So, white blood cells, platelets and neutrophils: you will not bring us down!  Our family will defy gravity and we will be the greatest team there's ever been! So, suck it!



No comments:

Post a Comment