Saturday, May 18, 2013

Endurance

There is a point during a marathon, for me around mile 22, when I doubt myself, I doubt my training, and most of all I doubt my sanity!!!

When we train, we are trained to push through tough days, push through negative thoughts, push through the heat or the cold. Just push through the proverbial "wall".

When I trained for my first marathon I discovered myself.  I didn't realize I could be that disciplined and determined.  I often compare running to life.  They are both filled with victories and failures and moments that make us or break us. Now, as we face what is an ultra marathon called Evans, more than ever I can apply all that running represents into this.

Last October, Ric ran his first half marathon. He understands what it is to train when you don't want to, do hill repeats in 90 deg weather, go to bed early because you have a run early in the morning.  Endurance running requires sacrifice, discipline, focus and desire.  Dealing with Evans is no different.  I constantly find myself in conversations with him where he tells me "This is like half marathon training, right mom? It sucked, but I did it!" Yeah, Ric didn't enjoy training too much, but, like he said, he did it.

That's where we stand today. He starts his new med Monday, Rituximab (chemo) and it sucks, but this is what this week of training looks like in the ultra marathon training program of Evans Syndrome. We will have moments of fear, moments of doubts and moments where my sanity will be tested. We just have to stay strong and remember there will be good days too. We will endure this and whatever else is to come. After all, this is just another challenge in the marathon of life.

1 comment:

  1. I can't add you on bloglovin so I apologize for just now visiting!
    Thinking about you and your son as he starts his new meds!
    Great marathon quote!

    ReplyDelete