Tuesday, May 7, 2013

One day at a time

Yesterday was such a cool day! Ric has been banned from contact sports, for the time being. I have been trying to convince him to go to swim practice with me and my tri team, but he has been resistant. That is, until yesterday!
"Mom, I wanna go swim with you. But, I don't want to wear my regular bathing suit when you all look like pros." "Pros? Dude! We r not pros, we are enthusiasts!" "Well, you look like pros to me". I grabbed one of my tri shorts and gave it to him so he would look the part as well....you know like a pro!

Off to swim we went! We get to our local YMCA, he picks a lane, coach gives him instructions and off he goes. Off I went to!
Swimming is one of the most relaxing, mind clearing exercises in my life. All I focus on is how many yards I've done or have left! Just numbers going through my mind. Not numbers of white blood cells or red blood cells or platelets...just my distance. Nothing else in my mind, and that's not easy given I can't just be quiet or idle at any given moment. Very relaxing! Yes, I do understand that my idea of relaxing differs from that of normal people. 2600yds in the pool is all the relaxing I need....well, besides running!

I was done with my workout and Ric is still going up and down the lane. Coach tells me "he wants to swim 200 without stopping". Cool! Awesome! A goal! Whoohoo! He crushes that goal!!!

He gets off the pool and the endorphins begin to talk! Holy mother of God! Is this what I sound like after I do my long runs?? The boy would not shut up about how awesome and strong he felt in the pool! Awesome and strong!!! Two words he hasn't used to describe himself in the last 4 weeks! It's amazing what a little exercise can do for you! It definitely makes you happy! Thank you endorphins!!!!
Now, he wants to swim! Yes!! Swim!! No impact, he can totally do it, regardless of his number of platelets! Take that platelets!

I hope he finds a healthy outlet in swimming! At least he did yesterday! I'll take it! One day at a time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment