Monday, May 6, 2013

#mommyrunstokeephersanity!!!!

Lots of things going through my mind.

First, I had to establish a new rule...If your platelets are below 100,000 you have to stay here, where I can see you at all times!  I mean, seriously! How the hell did I become that mom that cares about platelets levels? I guess that's what dealing with an autoimmune disorder will do to you.

His platelets last week went down from 103,000 to 70,000.  The "danger zone", designated by our doctors, is 50,000. So, yeah, in my mind 70,000 is close enough to keep him under watch.  He's still allowed to play basketball (his passion) and all that, but here where I can see him and keep him "safe" in case he starts bleeding or bruising.

I had big plans this year for me and my sports, which of course have taken a backseat to all this.  I was planning on racing Ironman 70.3 in Augusta in September.  However, since all the doctors are telling us it will take between 6 to 8 months (training time) to figure out which  medicine he will respond to, Ironman 70.3 has been postponed to, hopefully, 2014. I know this sounds extra selfish, but I'm super bummed I can't do that this year as I know it would've kept me focused, clear minded and entertained throughout this Evans ordeal. The thought of paying for that registration to end up not being able to do it because of a possible emergency with Ric keeps me from doing it.  Oh well!

Coaching keeps me focused and clear minded as well. Of course, running does too! All the doctors have said NOT TO STOP RUNNING....so to all my friends who keep bugging the hell out of me...SHUSH IT! NOT HAPPENING!

Yesterday was a great day! My athletes were competing in a triathlon, all distances, sprint, oly and 70.3 and they all did great! It was awesome to see their hard work pay off.  It just keeps reminding me that dealing with Evans will definitely be like dealing with training.  Some days, it will suck. Some days it will be completely fine. Some day we will get into remission = temporary finish line.

We have more blood tests this week. We'll see where we are! For now, TODAY it is just Evans and NOT cancer. For now, TODAY he will live a normal day, go to school, bug his brothers, annoy me with his 14 yr old antics. For now, TODAY, I will swim and clear my mind where there is nothing in it, except my distance. For now, TODAY, everything is fine and I am happy with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment